Is this true that Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram will be banned in India from 26th May 2021?
- In February 2021, the Central government of India came up with a new set of IT rules and regulations. These rules imply authority over social media by appointment of compliance officials, giving their name and contact address in India, complaint resolution, monitoring of objectionable content, compliance report and removal of objectionable content. As per sources, some platforms have demanded six months deadline to take up this matter in the US Headquarters and wait for their decision . Currently only Koo App has complied with the new rules and is ahead of the deadline. The question here is what if these platforms do not comply with the new IT rule? If the government plans on banning these platforms, is our individual rights at risk?
- It’s important to know the sub section(1) of section 79 of IT Act. The IT Act gives protection to social media companies and web services by making them “intermediaries”. This means they are not responsible for user content. So here the government means that if any Social Media company fails to adhere to the new rules then they might lose the protection that the “intermediaries” have.
- As per data cited by the government, India has 53 crore WhatsApp users, 44.8 crore YouTube users, 41 crore Facebook subscribers, 21 crore Instagram clients, while 1.75 crore account holders are on microblogging platform Twitter. Koo has close to 60 lakh users, making it a major social media intermediary under the new guidelines. Many Indian are upset with this news but as of now all the social media apps are working in India so let’s wait for further information.
- India Today- http://https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/features/story/will-india-ban-whatsapp-facebook-twitter-from-may-26-unlikely-but-it-is-complicated-1806863-2021-05-25
- Free Press Journal- http://https://www.freepressjournal.in/viral/facebook-twitter-to-stop-operating-in-india-from-tomorrow-as-new-govt-rules-come-into-effect-twitterati-mourn-with-memes